Friday, August 1, 2014

Eugene Marathon 2014 26.2 Miles "The Run'

"Start 6:00 AM!"
Ten the night before the race one more hurdle. I called a taxi, for the third time this time saying, "Yeah, Jerry I need that ride." He drove slow and easy in the dawn I talked to him before hand about my handicap and we made our way from Springfield to Eugene Marathon 2014. He talked for a little while until I told him I had to concentrate, until the race and my body was already rebelling against the ride, it wanted to needed to run. He said, "Where should I drop you?"

'ASAP' was my answer, we pulled over and the meter said 15.50$ He turned and said 13.50$"

 I said the meter says 15.50$ he gave me back 6.50$ in change and said, "Good Luck" as we stopped. No sooner the taxi come to a stop I spring out and begin bouncing up and down for  second  I was in A Corral wearing full seats, with Chef John aka THOR H/C with a Lightning Bolt for the slash mark. I can never get cold, then muscle rebellion. They sky was painted with sweeps of long pinks and light clear blues as the mist raised, mixed with bright white swashes of clouds as they to seemed to want to brighten the sky; I marveled, "What a ceiling painted for our run." I even made a short announcement to a tell few around me about my condition and keep bouncing back and forth.  "Bang." We were off, well they were; I paused in back to create my first block of space behind me. I could fall at any minute while running first five miles and knew it, it happened a few times, and I would be off on the side and get right back up always saying quick as I could, "Go, Run. I'm Okay!"  I try to caution people but that was making it even harder, so I just ran and kept to the side but still with general  group, a little too spectators  close for first one dog, went for me, but the owner pulled the dog quickly away. I ran, the sound of the start of a long race is breath, all you hear is breath in all shapes and colors echoes in sound, and the beat of feet upon the road none stop. I grunt growl, talk and make quite a bit of noise at times in the beginning for my legs are still learning to run again not on purpose and I try to keep it down.  I passed another spectator and cheerers holding cards, She had a card with a Big dog on a leash, the attack it was fast, I was faster and the Dog took the leash almost from the owner, I dove feeling the dog breath and little dog wet/slobber hitting my arm, into main traffic was the only place that dog would have had me for it lunged far beyond were I was running. "Dog fights and race' . No thanks.. I was instantly down hard on my left arm, cover and blows started as several people piled on.  It was  episode that took me for 5 sec, looking like a "Seizure" (Is NOT!) and many hands reached. I again said, "Go, Run!" I will be fine. I was up and hat in hand hobbling then finally into jog again a little blood  from my arm trickling for a few minutes, and I mentally gave myself a note. Cool, now we are running.  We wound around my old neighborhood by the paths I used to run as a student at Lane Community College in Amazon Park, uphill gentle grade for a while.  I was happy when I crossed the 7 mile mark and knew most of my dysfunction was worked out with a few attacks and now I could run. I ran and kept good pace till the bridge split, and into Springfield and back out, I had a monster leg cramp hit. The one where you're like "No, No" I lay back to get it out and "Waaaah" it was bad, from foot to back knots in calve, thigh, and yep all at once, but it began to stop. A SPD decided he wanted to help, and we did not see eye to eye on whether I should get up, and keep running, but I did after yelling at the little fellow. He ticked me off, Once he saw he knew me said "I know you." and pushed me back down. bla bla bla A loud "Get your hands of me!" while I got back up and began to run as he grabbed me to pull me back down. I ran the rest way out of Springfield and was happy to, it was cool I was 1 -2 miles from home, on the loop flashing peace signs at people every once and a while, then back stretch started a place I had never gone over 15 miles. it was then this..

FB post KMTR Marathon  

       It is the pounding of feet you here most, music, people talking, me to myself, "Relax' I fall as I do and running a pack is tricky so a few more drops, but I am up and going so fast. I would often be around the same groups. the "Ballooners", and their herd, this time that time. One lady kept coming up next to me. I think there were a few more who watched me, some speed up a little because I struggle pretty hard and the noise is not welcome. I understand, I stay in gaps. The few who watched me in the first half when my speed and training was keeping me at 6-7 min miles. It was one lady, sister with long dreads who just said a few word's to me. Words that count when in the back 15 my legs wanted to quite, not due to tire but due to H/C. "You trained for this." You can do this." It meant the world you see of my legs go out totally I have a spasm so bad and violent it would have left me far from home in a bad situation. Her words.. I made those five miles and looked at the new ponds, the roses, the banks of the Willamette, the Great Gray Heron alone on his log, the young Eagles playing in the sky and Ducks of course. The water as it raged over the lower rocks. I has been so long since my life on the river. You see that was the last thing she said to me, "Enjoy your run." That really was the most important. THOR http://theeyeofthor.blogspot.com/.../eugene-marathon-2014... 

I carried that with me as I passed the elderly ladies, roses, homes, and smiled around the new delta pounds and finally back to the bike path. I was heavy my legs not wanting to go. I had to walk, then go again. I could not stop too long or get stuck. I think it was those power shots, my fuel is whole foods, baked lemon Old Bay Salmon dinner, fresh Sour dough bread with toasted Sunflower and cashew, Himalayan raspberry compote. I turned the corner and ran for the home stretch  along the very paths I lived on, my isle land hidden from view my place of residence during the summer of 05' with its own little story like Walden. I stopped to special fuel of my own and downed two small packages if Himalayan pink salt on the back 20, the guy at one water station looked at me strange until I said what it was I had stuffed in my sock.  I kept going past Mona's house where a band was setting up, past the duck ponds and then hooked up with a guy on a bike playing the "Rocky Theme Song" under Skinner Butte. I picked up pace, feeling it, putting a few punches in for I had trained for 2 weeks to "Rocky" as it played a few weeks ago on T.V., punching the bag and adding weights after training at Cross Fit Gym Springfield with Daniel. We raced together, I had the Eye of THOR. I dropped pace for a little timing it just right this time, and took the last mile steady then at 1/4 mile I went into 3rd gear, in 2012 my 1/2 marathon I timed it wrong and ran out, I hit my stride and counted on my finders, if you were watching you see my fingers count down, then I hit it pulling my 3rd gear out, and moving by the time the stand, people, the finish line lay ahead. A photographer caught a good pic line of this, you see my face strain and then in the next shot I am knifing the air with my hands with both feet well off the ground.

Why Did I run?

I ran for my Momz both & Dad, Wayne, Uncle David & Aunt Cathy, Evan, Adam, Amy, Alicia, Ashton.

I ran for those who thought they could not do something, handicapped or not.

I ran to show people that you can do anything.

I ran for my friends at Hope Community Pre-School and the kids who I Play "Whoop Whoop" in the field on my hill train days as they all line the fence and laugh.

I run for all the kids on my block who I play with, and that I make airplanes for, for all the kids on the 4th of July out in countless numbers with every assortment of Sparkly fun in tow for hours.   

I run for my neighbors for we have a neighborhood, and they are the best and watch over me, and have made me a part of the community.

I run for Dorothy my next door neighbor who would knock on my door to make sure I was okay, she is 87 a polio survivor and lifelong Oregon resident .

I run for every person who is down, out, hard times, think your done, and say, "Never give Up."

I run for friends far away from the "Rock" and I run for "Rocky" John, Jen. Cali, Luel, George, Eric, Elisa, Julie, Ann, Stephanie, Andy, the others...

I run to see some day my two kids, David W. & Megan @,& Sara's family, Scott, Alicia.

I run for those dead, New York, Papa Bear, Crazy Steve, Bucket, Egan, Carter who designed my book cover  and the countless names of friends dead or up gone up state, in an underground "War", or even worse on one of my Memorials, gone forever now just a number listed with all the others.

I run for Sonny Barger to Nelson Mandela , Black Panthers to Hells Angels, blood, Truth, Loyalty, Honor.

I run for Elders & my hommies on lock down, Boogie, Cesar, John, Loni, Garret, B Ben, Goat, and the ones past who out doing right with might, K Dog & daughter, Jimmy and his boy, All my kids off the street, Erin, Shorty, Liz, Devin, DJ, with kids of their own who all call me" Uncle THOR". (I love being the favorite uncle >"Iol it quacks me up!)  

I run so they all can be inspired.

I run on inspiration.

I run for Kitty Piercy & Christine Lundberg, so many in high places, who have helped me, Bob S, all the support staff making magic happen.

I run for Dr. Macha and his whole tem at Slocum, respect has no price until it is given then it is priceless I, Dentist Alison Cadaraet , who has treated me with deep compassion, for Dr. Lin the Skeptic who has watched it all and told the truth. For the ALL the EMS GUYS, "I DID it! Told ya!" still got all them stickers from 4th July.. for the kids..

I run for all the staff, student, at Lane Community College, Brian, Clive, Chris, Julie, Joe, Support staff CML, Katheline, Mark,,,  David, Siri, 'the shapers' Coach, Rec staff, all my fellow student friends. Titan Power 2011'

I run for this beautiful valley we all live in and share; for where else can you see such sights in the middle of a two cites, rose gardens, hotels, with terraces, loons swooping and diving, the Willamette river, a place set between two mountains one lovely gem of a valley, for me from a big city this is one place, one giant run through the Emerald Valley, painted with the grandeur of flowers hippies making everything grow, fruit trees apple, pear, plum, so much life. packed into one run, one valley, our valley of Eugene And Springfield.

I run to make that spark of inspiration a fire.

I run to bring a Strom to Light up the Skies and let Thunder Roll>>>.         

I run for the kids, always in the end.

Chef John aka THOR         

1 comment:

  1. The officer and I met and shook hands.. the action of Peace-UP

    ReplyDelete