Saturday, March 22, 2014

"IF I RAN THE ZOO" BY CHEF JOHN AKA THOR Lane Community College Oregon


If I ran the zoo this is what I would do.

I would create a direct out reach of all students and careers in the field they are pursuing creating assured growth of college, students, and community.

If I ran the zoo I would create the now down town CML building where all  this would take place.

If I ran the zoo every student would be in a long term plan putting them into a local job trade, career, or furthering  their studies in coordination with local opportunities, businesses, and International or  national movement into like career opportunities.

If I ran the zoo, I would use the CML building for this, personal, tech, administrative coordination with college Main campus, and local, national , and international coordination. I would also coordinate, the small Biz Center, SCORE, and Chamber of Commerce of both Eugene and Springfield in this endeavor deriving from them great leads and resources, some not imagined to come forth until the students are let loose on this idea.    

If I ran the zoo each student would create a Lane Community College LinkedIn account in their first year.

If I ran the zoo each dept, tech, culinary, nursing,  athletics, science, arts, welding ...so  would have their own separate accounts  within LinkedIn. Discussions following.   

If I ran the zoo each of these ideas would be weighed as the most powerful, the sword, the pen, or now the camera lending its debut.

If I ran the zoo I would create a reason for everyone to gather.

If I ran the zoo I would open a restaurant run by the students in the down town CML building.

If I ran the zoo I would sell .....(demographics done already) up to 200 per peek hours 5 days a week for lunch turning the lunch capabilities into the financial profit arena, and then on top of it I would run a classy nice establishment at night for a few hours giving the skill of working in a fast production and sales arena, then transferring to a more creative look at the best Oregon has to offer, as done daily in the Renaissance Room by students and staff. I find this very important since two dinners have been eliminated, and will boost the overall quality the Culinary program and move it right into the exploding Culinary Empire that Eugene is growing.

If I ran the ZOO I would have massive school spirit, like Yaaaaaaaaaaaah man! TITAN POWER!

If I ran the zoo one more thing,  I would call It (The Thunder Cafe') {poor man copy write} tm.

If I ran the zoo every staff member from Honorable President  Mary Spilde, too my esteemed friend Vice President Brian Kelly to all the other staff members who are so endeared to me who are so many, just so many, and every student would get a copy of this.

I had a lot of time when I first was hurt, and couldn't walk, not being able to work, so I set about being in my field in several manners and one of these was getting into LinkedIn conversations with Chefs from all over the world some being over 100 comments long. This lasted for some time, and believe me my knowledge of 25 years in Culinary was put in test and recognized by many Chefs as very well done. The best comment came after this statement concerning internal marketing needs and a change of venue for a large commercial organization looking to feed 3,000 meals a day. I gave a 5 part plan this was apart. Okay I'm telling you all this for a reason, and this was my reply.

"We had a breakfast omelet cart in the cafeteria, and I thought it would be cool if we created a marketing plan. I presented the idea, and  all the students got involved, ideas flying around like sheets of paper in the wind which many were. We drove sales in that cart from 35$ a day to 200$+ We sold everything we could make and used 'everything" we could, soups, salads, desserts, made cards for discounts, went to every inside dept and invited them in personally." "We as a team let loose rocked."

The best reply was this, listen to the second part.

 Chef Bu............ Executive Chef "Don't you guys see what he did, it was genius. He got the students/staff to work as a team investing their own ideas and then their own pride to achieve the goal."

Chef John Arthur Ernst aka THOR Graduate 2011

The best that is in me is because of being a "TITAN" at Lane Community College

 

1 comment:

  1. I still am a TITAN in spirit, word written and spoken, and for thought of action and deed. A TITAN
    Chef John AKA THOR

    ReplyDelete