Monday, March 24, 2014

“Mother’s Day Pow-Wow McArthur Court U of O 2007' "THOR presents himself to the Tribes”


     I left my home and began my, “Spirit journey” my destination the Mother’s Day Pow-Wow. I walked downtown to retrieve my friend Steve than began walking towards the University of Oregon. I had this constant pull towards the east as I traveled south to north along Hilyard street; it seems my instincts were dead on  for when we entered the campus at thirteenth street we were directed back to the southeast were the Pow-Wow was taking place. As we had walked across town I had stated to Steve that this may be the last, “Spirit Journey” I would take for a while all I could feel was evil and chaos, but as the sound of drums enveloped me when we entered the stadium everything changed. A men’s traditional dance was just about to begin. I walked to the center of the stadium, and stood for a moment as if announcing to the gathered tribes, “Thor is here”. I backed into position with the other dancers, and slipped across the veil between this world and that of the spirit world. I became the Eagle, the deep booming of the drums beat into my body, and I began A sacred dance that I had never been taught, yet suddenly knew as a master musician knows his instrument, and the song he has performed scores of times. My body was caught in perfect tempo with the music and my spirit soared in unison with the crescendo of the drumming. As I danced dollars were thrown at my feet, one of the highest honors afforded to dancers I was to find later. The dance ended and a dollar still lay on the floor I retrieved it and walked off the floor. For a moment I was confused with what to do with this honor; however, when I saw a young white boy in regalia, all became clear. I was not dancing for myself, but for the future of the children. Another men’s traditional began and again I took my position with the dancers. This beat was different than the first it seemed to have a central meaning focusing inwards to the tribal nations and a tribute to their heritage as opposed to the last which was a more out ward and full encompassing. I again flew and soared as the Eagle though this time I danced in a rhythm that was not my own singularly, but belonged to the others as well. I remember looking for the one person, a chief or elder who this dance was focused on, yet there was no one evident not until later did I fully comprehend the tribute. Again a dollar was thrown at my feet with a loud, “Whoop” by a young native dancer (I wanted to write, “Brave” yet for my audience I’ll leave it as such {His Name is John we met and became friends a few years later at Lane Community College}). This dollar I circled and swept in the fashion of a bird in flight retrieving it upon my wing tip. Again I gave it to a child though this time to a young native boy. When he took it at first he shy away. I held his hand, and had him look into my eyes so he would understand the significance of why I gave it to him. I danced for the children’s future.

         Many other dances occurred: intertribal mixed, a Hawaiian native ladies dance, and an Aztec styled dance in tribute to mothers and Mother Earth. The rhythms to this dance were complex with a special core drummer and rehearsed dancers who were amazing to watch. For a while I closed my eyes; with them shut I could still see the dancers in a vision where they danced seemingly at a great distance to me in some great dessert around a fire. In my vision they danced all night and again into the morning. I watched the sun rise over the mountains and felt the cool night wash away before the heat of the day began. The dance ended in a deafening crescendo which was followed by silence. One lone feather remained in the center of the floor after the drum splinters and tributes had been cleared away. I made my way from the bleaches where I was again to the center of the floor to retrieve this lone feather. My heart raced and pounded in my chest as I picked up off the floor. I touched it to my lips, forehead, and chest; repeating the mantra, “Body, mind, and soul; bless me Great Spirit”

Thor

No comments:

Post a Comment